Eat Down the House: Easy Spiced Roasted (Sweet) Potatoes
Eat Down the House: Easy Roasted (Sweet) Potatoes
The Eat Down the House Challenge, is to go without grocery shopping, and eat from the stock in the fridge and pantry.
Please welcome guest blogger Sonia, my oldest sister and Restaurant Baby #1, as she eats down her house with one of her go-to roasted potatoes dish. ~Madeline
This is a variation of one of my go-to dishes and one of the few reasons I always keep potatoes handy in the house. The roasted potatoes are really a vehicle for two of my favorite spices, ginger and cumin.
By now I have not gone “real” grocery shopping for three weeks. I had 2 potatoes leftover from at least a month ago. Typically this is a potato-only dish, but on my last visit to my parents’ house, my Mommy gave me two sweet potatoes to bring back. (*Foods that are given as gifts do not count as grocery shopping.) To add a little volume and variety, I made the dish with both regular potatoes (Idaho baking potatoes) and a sweet potato.
What spices and seasonings do you like on your roasted potatoes?
Spiced Roasted (Sweet) Potatoes
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced to 1-cm pieces
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced to 1-cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons cumin, whole
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place all the diced potatoes into the baking pan. Pour in the vegetable oil and stir to coat the potatoes in oil. Sprinkle the ginger and cumin over the potatoes and stir to distribute evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure the potatoes are in one even layer in the pan.
Bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned.
Salt to taste if needed. Serve nice and hot.
Other Roasted Potatoes Recipes:
- Simply Recipes’ Roasted New Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- Gourmet’s Roasted Potato Wedges with Rosemary Butter
- Eat Down the House Challenge
- Eat Down the House: How to Cook Frozen Dumplings
- Eat Down the House: Dates, Cheese, Sausage
- Eat Down the House: Butternut Squash Risotto with Saffron
- Eat Down the House: Three Treasures Bread Pudding
- Eat Down the House: Seaweed Mushroom Soup
- Eat Down the House: Star Anise Beef Stew with Bok Choy